You can get the “Dell HDMI port not working” issue if there is no response from the device like the television or monitor and etc. Sometimes, you can get a message on your laptop when you connect to the High Definition TV or some display. But even then, you can get this problem.
There can be several reasons why does this issue occur after all. Some of the most usual ones are if the display settings on the computer are not configured properly, then you can face this problem.
Even when the display driver of the computer is not up to date, then there is a possibility of you encountering this glitch.
Further, if the connection between the laptop and the HDMI television is not correctly done, then also you may get this problem.
Moreover, if the hardware like the HDMI wire, a port on the laptop and the devices have any kind of defect, then this error can show up too.
Solutions to Resolve the “Dell HDMI Port not Working” Problem
This is the section of the article, that contains multiple steps which will help you to correct the problem with regards to your Dell HDMI port not working.
Steps to Update the Graphics or Display Driver
If the driver of the display or graphics card installed within the computer is out of date, then you can encounter this problem. The best answer to fix this issue is to perform an update of the driver. For that to happen, follow the lines that are given below:
- First, tap on both the keys ‘Windows + R’ on the keyboard simultaneously. This will launch a new dialog box called ‘Run’.
- Within that dialog box, type the following text “devmgmt.msc” on the empty area, just beside the label ‘Open:’. After that, select the ‘OK’ button. This action will open up a new window, with the name ‘Device Manager’.
- Inside this window, there contains all the devices and their respective drivers within a list. Next, from that list locate and select the device category ‘Display adapters’. Then at the front of this device category tap on the ‘arrow’ icon to reveal a sub-list, which has all the drivers of this specific device.
- Now, from the sub-list, choose the first driver and then right-click on it. Then, from the popup menu that comes up, choose the ‘Update driver’ option.
- At this moment a new window will come up which has two distinct links ‘Search automatically for updated driver software’ and ‘Browse my computer for driver software’.
- Out of those two distinct links, choose the first one specifically. As soon as you do this, then instantly the Windows Operating System will start the search procedure automatically to find any available updates for the driver of the ‘Display adapter’ device.
- If you get an update for this device category, then that will automatically be downloaded and then installed.
- Once the installation of the ‘Display adapter’ driver update is complete, then restart the computer.
- Finally, see if you encounter this problem or not.
Start and Connect the HDMI Device Once Again
When the HDMI cable of the television or monitor is connected to the computer loosely, then you can encounter the “Dell laptop HDMI port not working” glitch. To troubleshoot this issue in an easy way, follow the steps underneath:
- First, take out the HDMI cables from the ports of the laptop and the device.
- Then, turn all the devices such as the Dell laptop, monitor or television off and then remove the power cables of all the gadgets from the wall sockets including the battery of the laptop.
- After that, wait for five to ten minutes
- Next, when the time is over, then insert the battery into the laptop and connect all the power cables back to the wall socket.
- Then, connect the HDMI cables back to the ports of both the television and the laptop snugly.
- At last, turn both the devices on and then, check whether this error still happens or not.
Check the Issues of the Hardware
If your Dell XPS 15 HDMI port does not work as it should, even after you have done a proper display driver update and the reconnected the HDMI cable.
Then, check whether the hardware like the HDMI port of the laptop, the HDMI cable and the device itself has any kind of malfunctions or not. In order to do that follow the steps that follow underneath:
- First, take a proper look at the HDMI cable that came with the television set or the monitor. Inspect whether there is any kind of puncture on the upper cladding or not.
- If there is any physical damage on the wire, then immediately replace the same with a new one.
- In case the wire does not have any physical issue, then check for any dust particles within the HDMI ports of the laptop and the television or monitor.
- If there are any foreign particles present inside the HDMI port, then immediately clean it with an earbud or a thin paintbrush. Now, reconnect the HDMI cable and see if this problem gets over or not.
- Now, if none of the steps on this method are unable to resolve this issue at all, then there might be some issue with the HDMI television or monitor itself.
- Therefore, the only way to eliminate this issue is to replace the HDMI device with a new device.
Correctly Set the Display Settings of the Laptop
When the display settings of the Dell laptop are not configured in the correct way, then you can encounter this problem. Now the solution to eradicate this problem is to configure the settings of the display correctly. To do that properly, follow the lines beneath:
- First, press the combination of ‘Windows + P’ keys together to launch the display modes.
- There are four types of display mode available namely ‘PC screen Only’, ‘Duplicate’, ‘Extend’ and ‘Second screen only’.
- Choose a display mode according to your preference, but the relevant one if you want to see through the HDMI television is the ‘Second screen only’ option.
- Lastly, see if this problem shows up or not.
When the HDMI port of the Dell laptop does not work then, by following all the points on the previous section, you can get rid of this issue.
But, even after you follow all the steps in the last section and still cannot correct this problem, then do not worry. Just, provide the details about the query that you have encountered in the comment section present at the bottom of this article.